1.1 Installing Zotero
On your own device
Download both Zotero Application and its browser plugin from Zotero.org
> Select the proper version for your operating system: Windows, Mac, Linux, and for your favorite browser: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
Le plugin has been correctly installed est installé if you can see on the upper right corner of your browser the following icon , then after having clicked on it once, this new icon .
This plugin will allow you to collect references and save them in your library while browsing.
In the case you are using one of the Library's laptops
if this icon is displayed on the desktop, then you juste have to download the browser plugin from Zotero website.
In the case this icon is not displayed on the desktop and you are using a Computer operated by OpenSuse Linux OS, then click on "OpensUSe" in the bottom left corner, you will find the link to the software in the "bureautique" menu.
Can I use Zotero with Safari?
You used to, and it is still possible to use Zotero connector for Safari till Safari version 12. But starting Safari 13, Apple rewieved all their browser extensions making them more difficult to use for apps that are not distributed by Apple guys themselves.
So as many other usefull tools, Zotero developpers had to rewrite entirely the code of the Safari connector to make it operable with new releases of Safari browsers. As it takes much time, a beta version is available for now on Zotero forum. If you The beta release is adapted to Safari 13 and 14.
Have a look here for further explanation and more information on how it works (or not sometimes)
If you have some trouble with Zotero connector on Safari, you should consider trying Zotero with another browser for academic purposes as long as this problem remains (first dump your beta version and install the official release on zotero.org, then install the connector adapted to the browser you have chosen).
Please report issues issues if you meet some on the Zotero forum.
1.2 Zotero dashboard
Zotero dashboard has this typical three-columns layout :
- on the left panel : your collections,
- in the middle, the list of all the items available in the selected collection (papers, books, cases reports, chapters, etc.)
- on the right panel : Metadata of the selected(or by default first) item.
1.3 Word Processors
Zotero works well with 3 word processors :
- Libre Office
- Google doc
- You will not be able to use Zotero with Pages (for Mac OS) for sure.
- Some cracked versions of Word Microsoft will not work either with Zotero (zotero.dotm cannot be installed in the startup repository)
- Office365 does not seem to work with Zotero : as far as we know, you will need to have a complete version of word
- OpenOffice sometimes work, sometimes not, depending on which version you have. But OpenOffice is not as updated as its better known and more widely used fork LibreOffice. For this purpose as for other features, you should consider to switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice.
You may also use Zotero with a TeX or Markdown text editor (you will need to add a plugin to Zotero called Betterbibtex and use Pandoc in order to process bibliographic metadata in the PDF. For more information on how to do that, jump to chapter 8).
There is also a Zotero package for Emacs. You should also find something adapted to Vim but we never have tried it since we do not know anything about this editor.
1.4 If needed, check your Java version
"Java is a programming language and a computer platform. Many applications and websites do not work if Java is not installed and their number continues to grow daily."
When you use Zotero with a word processor, Java must have been installed and updated. Otherwise, you may face issues (for instance, Zotero icons in your word processor not displayed or not active). If you need to check your Java installation in LibreOffice, follow these steps.
- Check that LibreOffice is linked to a Java environment
Windows: LibreOffice > Tools > Options > Advanced
Mac: LibreOffice > Preferences > Advanced
- in case there is no blue line with the name of the Java programme, you will have to download Java. You can download JDK (Java Development Kit from here It will not take long, just a few minutes. Do not forget to restart your computer once you have correctly download Java Development Kit.
Please restart your computer when the installation is done. If you do not do this, your word processor may not connect properly with Java.
- If "Oracle Corporation" does appear in the frame, click on the radio button and then click OK
1.5 LibreOffice : I have downloaded or updated Java on my computer and still it does not work?
You have not noticed any change after having correctly installed Java in your word processor? Follow the steps below:
- Go to LibreOffice > Tools > Extensions or plugins manager
- find and delete the "Zotero LibreOffice Integration" add-on (hence comes the trouble you deal with)
- Then close LibreOffice
- Set up again the Zotero plugin for your word processor (Go to Zotero Préférences > Cite menu > Word processors > Installer addon for LibreOffice
- Reopen LibreOffice, now this should work...
1.6 I have checked that I have Java on my computer, but still it does not work with Word
If you do not see the Zotero tab in word, may be a file is missing in your Word installation.
You should see in your Word Startup Folder a zotero.dotm file
If you do not see it, you will have to place it there.
Where is my Sartup folder? You will find it by following these instructions.
If this path is not adapted to your installation, try instead :
C: > Users > YourUsername > Appdata > Roaming > Microsoft > Word > Startup
Note: in Windows10, Appdata is a hidden folder. Maybe you cannot see it by default. In order to make it appear (and the files inside it), you will have to temporarily show hidden files (here is how to do this)
If Zotero.dotm is missing in this placec, you have to go to
copy the zotero.dotm and paste it in the startup folder.
C:\Program Files (x86) > Zotero > extensions > zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org > instal
1.7 Instructions for ChromeOs and GNU/Linux OS
1. GNU / Linux
If you run a GNU/Linux distro on your device, the following instructions may help you (tested with Ubuntu 18.4) :
1) In the terminal as Sudo or Root type the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:smathot/cogscinl
This will make a link with the repository where you will find Zotero package. This repository is safe, you can use it without any risk.
Then update your packages:
sudo apt-get update
Install the Zotero standalone package :
If it does not work in the terminal, copy and paste this line in your browser and press enter. The reference manager will now be avaialbe in the software manager.
These instructions may also work with other distros.
Source : commentaire de Louis_David 10 octobre 2018 dans le thread suivant : https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/63880/linux-installation-instructions-for-standalone
2. Chrome OS
If you use a Chromebook, please follow the instructions published and updated on the forum.
1.7 Create your account on Zotero
Creating an online account will allow you to backup and use your library remotely from several devices. Your account will also give you the opportunity to share bibliographies online with other users. This feature is made possible by creating Zotero groups
- On Zotero website : click on "Log In" (upper right corner)
- Then, click on "Register", same place
- Follow the instructions by filling the form fields , validate by clicking on the "Register" button
1.8 How to sync
In order to link the data you have collected in your dashboard with your online account, just follow these steps:
- in Zotero dashboard, Open the Edit menu and then select Preferences, open the Sync tab
- login with your ID and your password (the same as for your online account)
- Press OK
- From now on, every time you sync, vous will load the whole or some part of your collections from your device to your online account. Thus you will get a library available on the web whatever be the device you are using.
Every time you want to sync your local data, press the green circular arrow on the right
- Dernière mise à jour: Jan 22, 2021 1:26 PM
- URL: https://formadoct.doctorat-bretagneloire.fr/zotero_workshop
- Imprimer la page